Game Music Showcase: Dumb Songs That I Love

Woohoo, another filler feature. In Top 5 Game Songs Game Music Showcase, I'll list 5 a few songs in a particular category like top 5 battle themes or top 5 title screen songs. (EDIT 3-7-12: lol feature change) I love video game music; it's probably my favorite thing to listen to while I write. Hell, the only music genres outside of video games that I really enjoy are metal and classic rock, so I don't have as much to chose from there. I kinda like how they have it in Japan. In music store over there you can find an entire section devoted to video game OSTs. I can't even begin to imagine that over here in the US. Hell, iTunes doesn't even have a section for it. They just lump them in with soundtracks from other stuff like movies and TV shows.

In this installment I'm gonna talk about dumb video game songs that I love for one reason or another. Some of them are just infamous for how terrible they are while others are just so hilariously out of place that I can't help but love them.

-

Sonic Boom
Sonic CD, 1993

Video Courtesy of YouTube user SonicPage.

Here's a good Example of an infamous one that I love, but I only really began to enjoy it recently. The first time I heard this song, I thought it was one of the worst things I ever heard. I couldn't believe that a Sonic game would have such a shitty song, and as the intro song for God's sake. Judging from the kind of shitty punk or whatever you wanna call the genre of music that you find in modern Sonic games, I guess it was an omen of things to come. Back then though, in the good old day of 16-bit tunes, Sonic games had awesome music. He also didn't open his stupid mouth back then. I miss silent Sonic. I think that Jim Sterling of Destuctoid brings up a great point about how Sonic games should be handled. He believes that Sonic should stop taking himself so seriously and be more self deprecating and ironic. Also they could fix the awful, broken gameplay. But enough about that. I didn't start to really enjoy Sonic Boom until it was featured in Super Smash Bros Brawl. For some reason it really clicked with me and I started to love the song. I even changed the settings so it was the only song that played on Sonic's stage in Brawl.

-

Dog Ending Theme
Silent Hill 2, 2001

Video courtesy of YouTube user PeyserConley.

Maybe I'll piss someone off by calling this one dumb but whatever it's my own opinion. The Dog Ending in Silent Hill 2 is one of the two joke endings in that game. Yeah, one of the most maturity themed games ever made has TWO joke endings. Anyway this is the song that plays over the credits if you get the Dog Ending. It's just a goofy carnival sounding song that has a dog barking to the music, but for whatever reason it just cracks me up every time.

-

Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony
Final Fantasy VII, 1997

Video courtesy of YouTube user PeyserConley.

Now I'm really gonna get it. I know this is an Uematsu composed song, but I just find it so silly. It plays during a parade scene in Final Fantasy VII, celebrating a really evil bastard taking over a giant corporation after the former CEO, his father, is murdered. This is one that I find really out of place with the general dark tone of the game so that kind of enhances the comedy to me.

-

Holy Orders?
Guilty Gear X2, 2003

Video courtesy of YouTube user nobodyknows182.

Yes, the song is supposed to sound that bad. There's nothing wrong with the video. This song is the theme of Robo-Ky, a character introduced in Guilty Gear X2. Robo-Ky is a robotic copy of one of the game's main characters, Ky Kiske. The original batch of Robo-Kys is really poorly made however and they can barely even stand upright. So since they're defective copies of Ky, their theme is a distorted version of Ky's theme, Holy Orders. It's probably more because I'm such a huge fan of the game but it cracks me up every time I hear it.

-

The Excitement Doesn't Stop
Waku Waku 7, 1996

Video courtesy of YouTube user vash87rallyv.

Now this song is just undeniably bad. It's from a very obscure arcade fighting game called Waku Waku 7 and no it isn't the 7th game in a series; the 7 in the title refers to the 7 playable characters. I first learned about this game a few years ago and started playing the crap out of it in MAME, and while I wouldn't normally support emulation, this one is definitely abandonware so it's fare game. The song in question is the theme song of Arina, one of the game's characters. This song plays as background music in her stage and I just find it so hilariously out of place in a fighting game that I can't help but love it.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment