Game Music Showcase: Chistmas Music

In Game Music Showcase, I take a look at a few songs from a particular category, like battle themes or title screen songs. The songs are listed in no particular order, except for the last one which is my personal favorite of the bunch.  I love video game music more than any other genre and with this feature, along with game music appreciation, I hope to help you understand why. 

So why bother with having two music features? Game Music Appreciation is more in depth while Game Music Showcase is more of a microcosm of one category of video game songs. 

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone. I'm in a festive mood so here's a special article about Christmas music featured in video games. Unfortunately, they're all songs from The Nutcracker, but they still count, dammit!



Tetris (NES version)
Video courtesy of YouTube user MistyMines.

I could be wrong but I believe that this is from the Nintendo published Tetris game for the NES. There were so many versions of Tetris that it makes my brain hurt just trying to sort them all out but regardless, the song in question is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker. Because of my love of game music, it really quite beautiful to me to hear the song on the NES's sound board.


 Home Alone (SNES version)
Video courtesy of YouTube user Otouto72.

Hmm, I'm talking about this game again already? The Home Alone game actually featured several Christmas songs, seeing as the movie took place during Christmas, but this one's my favorite. I'm not actually sure if the above video is from the SNES version (the only version I played), though the video's title says that it is. Again the song is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy though it's definitely not as good as the Tetris version. It has a bit of a kitschy charm to me I guess.


 Dynamite Headdy
Video courtesy of YouTube user DJAbyss500.

This one is just hilarious to me because it plays as you fight a gigantic robotic reindeer. At first you think you're gonna fight the game's recurring boss, Trouble Bruin, but as he prepares to attack, the reindeer falls from above and crushes him. For the rest of the fight, Trouble Bruin remains comically flattened on the reindeer's underside. I just love this game. Expect a full article on it one day. Again, this one's from The Nutcracker, though in this case it's March of the Toy Soldiers.


Bioshock
Video courtesy of YouTube user radioactivlady.

This one is such a bizarre juxtaposition. At one point in Bioshock, you are forced to help a crazy artist named Sander Cohen who wants you to kill and photograph several people who betrayed him. They're all pretty much as evil as him and they all attack you first so I didn't feel that bad about killing them but it's still pretty gross.

Anyway, after you put a few of the photographs on a weird sculpture made of corpses encased in plaster, Cohen flips out because he thinks you don't like his "masterpiece." He sends waves of enemies at you while Waltz of the Flowers (again from The Nutcracker) plays over the loudspeaker. Like I said, bizarre juxtaposition. The funniest part though is that after you deal with all the enemies he sends at you, he apologizes and you still have to help him finish his grotesque artwork. Sure, I'll be glad to help. Freakin' trigger happy lunatic. Here is a video of the scene itself, courtesy of YouTube user DINKYDANA, but be warned that it's fairly NSFW due to language and violence.


Have a safe holiday season folks. My next few top 5s and my top 10 games of all time are coming soon, as well as an article about my favorite games of 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment